• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex's part of medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wish41

What is the name of your state? ohio
in our divorce decree, my x was ordered to pay half of medical over $200.00 for our children. he has failed to do so over the past 2 years. i give him a copy of the medical bills, but he just says tough s***, take me to court. i can't afford a divorce lawyer for a few hundred dollars. can i take him to small claims court andthey find him liable for 1/2 of the bills will he have to pay immediately or can he string me along some more?

J

JenniferH

Sorry: When a judgment is rendered, either in Family or small claims, it is up to you to collect the money. No court forces immediate payment. Many states allow for wage garnishments, bank levy's, etc, (you have to know where work and banks is)

From my understanding you can: 1) go back to family court and have the judge order a judgment for the med bills then transfer that to a small claims court or whatever they call it in your state or 2) this is assumed (file your claim in small claims court, file in the county in which your ex lives (for jurisdiction)

Either way, you have to collect the money yourself.

Sorry I can't give you better news.

PS: Does he pay child support?

W

wish41

yes he pays child support, but is always in arrears a few monthes. he is self employed, makes more than twice what i make, and still nevercomes EVEN close to the financial arrange ment that was set by the court. i know i can never get him to pay his fair share,BUT, 25 percent would be wonderful. i take him to court, they fine him $500.00,i pay a lawyer $2000.00. not very fair i would say. now i can't even get it from small claims. any other low cost solutions? thanks

R

rshyx

child support / medical bills

Is he in Ohio or out of state?
Enforcing Child Support
In situations where the parents reside in different states, the following acts provide mechanisms for enforcement for the home state of the child support recipient:

Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)
Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act (URESA), predecessors to the UIFSA
(RURESA), the revised successor to the URESA
These same acts, in most states, also provide means for the interstate enforcement of spousal support.

If in state - you should not need to hire a lawyer,
Please read all information at this address:
http://www.state.oh.us/odhs/ocs/index.htm

W

wish41

thanks so much!! kids are wild tonight , but i'll try to read it later. he is in state,about 2 miles away.
j

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">