• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what options do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nokia_74

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? CA

I gave a live-in girlfriend at the time one of my credit cards to use with a (verbal) agreement that she would be responsible for paying any balance on it. Either by me signing the sale slips when present or her forging my signature when I wasn't there, she managed to accumulate up to ~$5000 of debt on the card over the 2yrs period, though she was making minimum monthly payments. She returned the card before her move to another state earlier this year. She continued to send me checks for the bill for the next several months.

Since she didn't have any credit card under her name and couldn't get anyone to finance a new dining-room set for her new apartment (out of state,) I put another $1000 on another credit card, again, with a (verbal) agreement that she would make monthly payments to me. And she did for couple months.

We've since broken up and she's stopped making payments. Numerous attempts to reach her have been unsuccessful. She does not pick up the phone and refuses to return my voicemail and email messages.

Please help.
1. Would I have a case if I brought her to court?
2. Since she lives in a different state and the purchases were made in 2 different states, where should I file my claims?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">