• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife of grandfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigomess

What is the name of your state? texas

i was the executrix for my grandfathers estate in 1997. the estate was closed after 2 long years (went through probate etc.) my mom received the house which had a mortgage. she is now selling the property and has run across a snag. apparently there was a deed of trust mortgage to his 2nd wife in 1981 for $35,000 which was due to be paid in 1991. we had no knowledge of this. we are positive the 2nd wife got paid - but the title company will not release the property and she won't sign off saying she was paid. wouldn't she have had to contest or come forward to state her claim during when the estate was opened?
help.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Your situation is a little bit complicated and can only be answered by consulting with a local real estate attorney, and does not really fall under the category of probate law.

She might not necessarily have needed or wanted to contest or come forward to state her claim if she, like you, was ignorant or unaware of what the law is in a matter like this. She probably felt like she didn't have to do anything since it was paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">