• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just about a memory

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seanyu

What is the name of your state? New YorkWhat is the name of your state? New York
It was just about a memory of $35! Maybe it can not be a small claim, but I still want some kind of justice.
Last December, I bought a 256MB memory from an online store which is located in California. I received it in early January but it did not work. So I asked them to offer a refund or exchange. They told me to send it back so that they could send me a new one. I then sent it back to them via USPS priority mail. In mid February they told me on the phone that they had received it and would send me a new one soon. However, I never received it after a reasonable period. So I emailed them. They replied that they had sent it out and I should be patient. So I kept waiting till late April when I still had not got it. Then when I called them, they told me that they had not received the item I returned to them!!! --After a lot of phone calls and emails discussing when I could receive the new item, they told me that they had not received my item, and thus they had never sent the new one out!
Later we had a few discussions. Once they said they would forget about whether they had received my item, and would just send me a new one. Today when I called them, we came back to the question again: whether they had received my item! And whether I had sent out the item!
Actually it was just a deal of 35 bucks. However, I feel annoyed and humiliated. If they told me earlier that they had not received it, I would had nothing to say. However, it was not like that.
What should I do? I want a memory which I deserve and an apology. Can I get them for free?
Any advice from you will be appreciated.

P.S.:
my only evidence is a few email messages. In their March 8th message, they told me that they had sent me a new one(This implied that they had received the bad memory). I did not record our conversations. And when I sent them the returning memory, I used priority mail but did not asked an insurance.

JETX

Lessons learned:
1) Was this purchase made by credit card?? If so, AND if still in the allowed time, you can dispute the purchase.
2) You returned the item by Priority Mail. Did you pay the extra $0.35 for proof of delivery?? If not.......
3) Have you taken the time to formalize ANY of these conversations in writing??? FAX's are relatively cheap.......

At this point, you have let this become a 'spitting contest' of your word against theirs. I would try one more time and WRITE them a detailed letter citing all the facts in chronological sequence. Demand that they refund your money within 10 days of receipt. Send it certified RRR. Then sit back and see what they say.

If they still don't refund, you can take the loss and learn from it... or you can find the online opinion and ranking boards and tell your story so that others are educated in this businesses 'practices'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">