• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wants money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RickHunter

What is the name of your state? Missouri

About a year ago a young lady came into the store I was working in and put $500.00 down on a car I was selling. This was on a Tuesday and she said she would be back in on Friday to give me the rest($2000.00)and she would take the car then. Almost a month and a half went by and she finally showed back up she said she was sorry but she still wanted the car, so she gave me another $500.00 and promised she would be back the next day with the rest. I told her there was NEVER any discussion about
taking payments on the car and the entire time I was waiting on
her to show back up 3 other parties were very interested in the
car. I took the money only because her mother came with her saying she would bring her(the girl just turned 16). She never showed back up again and I parked the car in front of my work were I had put it up for sale hoping she would see it and
come back. Finally she came back almost a year later and wanted her money back. I explained she could give me the rest of the money for the car but I didnt have the money to give back. Now she is trying to sue me for the money. And I cant give her the car because my wife was in an accident in it in March and the insurance company totalled it and took the car. So my question is, what do you think is going to happen?

Last edited:

JETX

What did your 'sales agreement' say about the pre-paid money?? Was it a deposit to hold the vehicle, or was it to be forfeited in the event of buyer breach???

Also, what is the claim made in her suit??
Is she trying to get her money refunded?? If so, give it to her since you are no longer in a position to complete the contract... even if she did pay the full amount. Besides, you received 100% of the value from the insurance company and shouldn't retain the extra of her deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">