• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife Name Change/Daughter Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kthomas

What is the name of your state? California
1. My husband's ex-wife (whom he has a son with and now resides in INDIANA) was recently remarried. She just notified us that she intends to keep my husband's last name in addition to her new last name.

2. In addition to the son that they have together, she also gave birth to a daughter four years ago with another man who was not my husband and not the man she just married. She just notified us for the first time that four years ago, when her daugher was born, she gave her daugher my husband's last name and not her real father's last name nor her maiden name.

(1) Is it legal to keep a previous spouse's name after remarriage? (2) Can a woman legally give a child the last name of a man whom is not the child's father? I see all kids of problems with wills, estates, family history, etc. with this child carrying the wrong name and with his ex-wife still using his last name. We have already had situations with credit reports, previous defaults on her part, etc. Thank You.

Last edited:

P

pthalo

I feel your pain

Vermont....

My ex-girlfriend and I are now the parents of a four week old baby boy. When she got "divorced" (see my posting), she kept her husbands last name. When naming the child, I was left out of the decision. She put her ex-husband's last name on the birth certificate and never even considered my last name. I am beginning a court battle with her to get issues resolved. Any advice I get I will pass along in this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">