• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clockstopper

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I've posted before on a slightly different subject - kinda hypothetical, but now I really need help.
My husband wants me to leave. He had his house before we met, but we have purchased several large furnishings together. He bought me a car, I make the payments, but it is in his name. Also, he owned an auction business when I met him, but we have built it up to a very large auction house since being together. Also, we have added a retail store with his money and my sweat equity. He is disabled, so I did most of the renovations to this building myself with some part-time help from his grown son.
Husband says I (and him) don't need a lawyer, that I'm not entitled to anything and just need to leave - HELP!

D

dorenephilpot

Are you thinking that it's possible that he is correct that you have to walk away without anything just because he says so?

Nope. That's not the way it works in the United States.

Now, go get yourself an attorney who will fight for you.

C

clockstopper

Thanks for the advice...more...

Thank you. No, I have no intention of walking away. My husband is a triple amputee and I have been his total caregiver and I'm suppose to just walk?!
Another question, if I may? Are there attorneys that will work with me on their fee or do I have to come up with the money upfront. I suppose I could borrow it.
Thanks again for your advice. God Bless.

D

dorenephilpot

Yes, some attorneys will work with you on the fees. Some charge higher retainers than others also.

It pays to shop around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">