• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

he filed bankruptcy in AZ, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisamarie77

What is the name of your state? Arizona

i was divorced in August of 1999, and according to my divorce decree he is responsible for a majority of the debt we incurred together. shortly after the divorce was final he filed for bankruptcy, now i am being bombarded with letters from collection agencies. i know that arizona is a community property state, and that i am now responsible for these bills, but do i have any other options such as a personal lawsuit against him? he has completely ruined my credit, and i don't want it to affect my new husbands credit.

D

dorenephilpot

You found out the hard way something ugly about the divorce process and the bankruptcy process.

If you had joint debts, the divorce court ordered him to pay those debts, then he filed a BK and got a discharge of his debts, then you are on the hook for those debts.

How can that be? The state court (divorce court) will have its orders "trumped" by a federal court (bankruptcy court) order.

So your options are to pay the debts -- or to file a BK yourself to get rid of them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">