• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want my money refunded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kristis1029

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have a gift certificate valued at $190.oo for a "Day at the Spa". This salon recently closed down, cancelled my appointment that I had set for over a month, with less than a week's notice, and now the owner is "beating around the bush", saying she'll see what she can do. She says she will try to refund me, but may just get me services (manicure, pedicure, etc.) at another salon. I asked her how soon I will be compensated, and she has "no idea."
I want my money back -- now -- and I can never get a hold of this lady to find out what is coming to me and when.
What are my rights here, if any? Can I take her to small claims court?
Please help! Thanks, Kristi

JETX

Q1) "What are my rights here, if any?"
A1) Was this business a corporation or a d/b/a?? If a d/b/a, then the individual is responsible for the debts and liabilities. However, if this was a corporation owner, then you can only sue the corporation itself and not any individual person.

Q2) "Can I take her to small claims court?"
A2) Yes.

One suggestion... have you WRITTEN her a demand for payment?? If not, do it. Include all the details, plus her admission of liability (services in kind, etc.). This could help any legal actions you decide to take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">