• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invoicing Dell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laffingboy

What is the name of your state? I live in California. I purchased a Dell computer less than a year ago and the function of creating a clean CD has not worked. I purchased the extended warrenty but now I find out only after purchase that it is extreamly limited. I have used tech support a considerable amount. Tech support has helped but has also through lack of experience caused more trouble which has taken a lot of my time to fix.

I was wondering if I could invoice (charge) Dell for my time to fix my computer which is under warrenty.

Thankyou for your time and any help you can give.

Sincerely

J

justathought

Hardware or software issue? They only cover defective hardware and if you read the fine print, you don't even get new replacement parts--bummer. Nor do they claim responsibility for "downtime" in the event of such issues. And no liability I don't believe for software unless it was factory installed--even then sketchy as they blame you for installing conflicts. I too have been through "Dell Hell" (Do a Yahoo! search for support groups!!) and found my own little trick for future reference...

Do you have any major universities near you? Check out the campus retail/repair shop. As a PR thing for students, they are certified in just about every brand and because semesters are so short, the turnaround is pretty good. Of course, we had to convince them that it didn't matter that we weren't students--it only mattered to me that they were authorized (and local) and I was under warranty. It's easier in person (especially if the irate customer scares away future customers) than it is on the support line.

Our problem--We had a "glitch" on the LCD that was attributed (by them) to failing to maintain Norton or software conflicts--not covered under warranty. We were pretty much told we were SOL. And in order to more accurately diagnose, they wanted me to ship it back--no way!!--it took me two months to get shipping labels for an authorized return of a defective scanner! I was not going to trust them--and after reading some of the "support group" postings, I wouldn't trust them with *anything*. BTW, faulty wiring! Tech guy laughed and said it looked like a four-year-old put the thing together. Display cable twisted up and burnt itself out--physically damaging the LCD in the process.

Good luck to you!

JETX

Q) "I was wondering if I could invoice (charge) Dell for my time to fix my computer which is under warrenty."
A) No, you cannot. Several problems here, some are:
1) How do you PROVE that you even had a problem?
2) Since you did this repair (if done) yourself, you haven't suffered any damages.
3) How do you PROVE that your work was 'efficient and professional' (enough to show that your claim is frivolous or inflated)?
4) Their warranty spells out specific remedies... and doesn't include your self-help at repair.

And so on... and so on....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">