• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikeretired

georgia - my father's will left his house in columbus, ohio to both my sister and I 50/50. the house was apprasied at 67000. she wants to buy my half. the question i have is, after probate, how soon must she pay me and does she have to pay halve the appraised value? if she doesn't, what recourse do i have?

ALawyer

This should not be something to go to war or family feud over.

Is the appraisal accurate? Sometimes it is too high or too low, and thus people frequently get several and average them out.

But let's assume it is accurate and would sell on the market for $X. However if you put it up for sale there likely would be fix-up costs to get it ready to show, the real estate broker/agent commission of about 6%, plus various closing costs. And in some states, depending on how the Will is drafted, real estate may require prior court approval for any sale and that creates delays and expense. In any event you'd likely net about 6-10% LESS than the real appraised value. And then each of you would get half of the net.

If you sold your half to sister for 1/2 $X less 1/2 the likely sales expense you'd be fair. She can pay you by check, by getting a mortgage on the house, or from any other assets in the estate. You don't agree to have title transferred to her name from the estate unless and until you are paid, just as you would not transfer title to me if I were the buyer until you got your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">