• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vindictive X

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? AZ

If I lent someone $250.00 in October of 2000, and it is yet to be repaid. What are my chances in court since it has been almost 2 years? I have my bank statment and my check registry matching this check #. Should I contact this person to ask for the money before attempting to take her to court? Someone else has asked for me but there was no response from the owing party.

JETX

Since you make no mention of any written agreement, I assume that you don't have any. And without written confirmation, it will simply be your word against his.... with the burden of proof on you.

So, if you want any chance of collecting, you will have to start legal action against the debtor in small claims. Then, hope that the court decides your way.

V

vindictive X

update

Went in front of a judge I was awarded my $ plus all my fees to file and have her served. She had paid me 80$ of the 390 owed, tomorrow we go in to discuss her financial situation. She has to explain why she can't pay me. What a mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">