• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex won't pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skinned

What is the name of your state? illinois
during marriage husband and I purchased a van with a joint loan. he was suppose to be making the payments out of his income, but instead used the money to purchase illegal drugs.
van was repoed. In divorce argreement states he is to be responsible for loan. He was not present during divorce, but sent me a letter that he had receive agreement and would take care of the bill. But now I am getting letter and calls from collection agency because he is not making payments. I do not know were he is last heard he was in a abuse center in Indiana.
I can not make payments myself because he took all money. and I don't feel it is right to have my credit ruined because of his horrible habit.
what can I do to make the divorce agreement stand?

vrzirn

Probably nothing. He is a loser and is never going to make good on his promise.
The best you can do is set up a payment plan with the creditor and pay off the debt. Otherwise, declare BK. Both are painful.

Lorih

can you send a letter to the creditor?

I don't have an answer for you - only another question....

Could a letter be sent to the creditor along with the divorce papers? Could the creditor then only report on the ex husbandwho is legally responsible for the debt?

I would think if the ex husband is the only one legally responsible for the debt now that they should update the account.

Ok - that might sound to easy and maybe it doesn't work that way. But then again - the divorce papers ARE a legal document!!

usmcfamily

Legally your best bet to maintain your credit is to work w/the creditor to find a way for you to set up a payment plan and pay the debt....then you will have to take proof of YOUR payments and the order to court and file for a judgement against him and payable to YOU for the amount you had to pay on a debt he had agreed to pay.......you may not win (good chance you would but you just never know) but it is the only surefire way to maintain your credit......:(

vrzirn

USMC-The opportunity costs are too high. Too much trouble for virtually no chance of reward. All that work and expense for a judgement that will never be paid.

S

skinned

I did send a copy of the divorce agreement to the creditor, also I have filled an affidavit as to why I con't make the payments. along with records where he had forged my name on my checks, causing my account to deeply overdrawn. and other documents proving his deception.
It takes everything I make now to live on, I can't afford to make any extra payments

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">