• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Employer retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Ukiah

What is the name of your state? Calif.

I worked for a company for 5 months, during which time, my personal vehicle had broken down. Since the employer was selling a vehicle that was used for company use but is in his name, I offered to purchase the vehicle.

To make a long story short, he allowed me take the vehicle home (so that I can get to and from work). I used the vehicle for a month. And when I quit due to being belittled and yelled at by both the employer and office manager, I gave the vehicle back, with my letter of resignation (I quit then and there).

When I received my last check, there was an hour missing. I contacted the employer regarding this and he said he wasn’t going to pay me – I took him to the Board of Industrial Relations (labor board) and won not only that hour, but penalties and the accrued vacation time for the five months.

At that point the employer stated (in front of the Deputy) that he was going to take me to court regarding the vehicle.

What I would like to know is;
1.Since we did NOT have a contract for the vehicle, am I responsible – or can I be forced to pay for something I no longer have?
2.I didn’t pay anything on the vehicle – due to the fact that he wanted the first bill of sale to state that he was giving me a loan – which didn’t mention the vehicle – I refused to sign it and quit before they gave me another bill of sale. Q: Is my taking the vehicle an agreement to purchase the vehicle?
3.What is the law (and what code is it under) about changing my mind on purchasing a vehicle? – how much time do I have to change my mind?
4.Would this be considered a retaliatory action since I did take him to the labor board?

Thank you!

Ukiah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">