• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Debt but credit cards are in his mom's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KateAngell

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband and I are getting a divorce. I filed a couple of weeks ago and I'm waiting for the 60 day period for it to be final. But, we have a joint debt on 2 credit cards, but the CC's are in his mom's name. He aquired the CC's before we even started dating. His mom gave them to him (chevron and discover) to use and she paid the monthly bill. When we got married, I told his mom that if we used the cards that I would pay monthly on them. We used them and I did pay monthly payments to both the credit cards. The debt is around $12,000 and when we decided to divorce, we jointly decided to pay his mom back half and half - me $6,000 and him $6,000. I offered to give his mom my wedding rings for the debt that I owe her. She accepted. Circumstances beyond my control - I had to pawn my rings and now they are threatining to sue me for not repyaing a debt if I don't give the rings back in a couple of days. I dont' have the money to get them out for a couple of months so I told them to go ahead and sue me for not paying back in a timely fashion. My question is - can they sue me? The divorce isn't final yet. But does that matter? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">