• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas handicapped prisoner rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J McRae

What is the name of your state? Texas
This may be a duplicate post - first time user.

If a handicapped (epilepsy w/brain damage) prisoner incarcerated in Harris County Texas jail system is not provided with medication to control seizures and/or not provided medical attention to treatment of boils or other ailments, (1) is it a violation of his civil rights? (2) would his court-appointed public defender still be responsible for his case? (3) is there a prisoner-rights advocacy that would be able to look into the situation? or (4) does he just have to stick it out until his parole and hope his seizures don't kill him?

I don't have a lot of details; he is indigent (his parents do live in the area though); his parents called someone at the jail and complained about their son's condition and lack of medication (over one week with no seizure medicine and open boils on his body); the prisoner was taken to the county hospital, treated with seizure medicine, returned to the jail and his parents received a bill for over 1,200 dollars.

I guess I am really looking for a clue on what his parents can do without initiating retribution on their son or on themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">