• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wants to relocate to another state for a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nailer4u

What is the name of your state? LOUISIANA......
My friend lives in Utah and filed divorce her self and is waiing for the courts..now she has a new job waiting here in louisiana as soon as she can get here..what is the law on this..she claims that if she leaves.her X will file kidknapping charges against her for leaving the state..what the best way to go..wait till it goes to court and then move..or what?
thankyou

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is there any sort of temporary custody order? If there is, she may be required to notify her stbx of the child's move. If there isn't, she can probably move, but should be aware that Utah will retain jurisdiction of the divorce and custody proceedings. So she's going to have to go back to Utah (or have a lawyer there represent her) for every hearing. It is also likely that she will be told that she can either return to Utah with the child, or the child's father will be given custody.

She may want to think very carefully how she'd like to be the one visiting her child long distance before she places her stbx in that situation - 'cause she may find herself living it.

N

nailer4u

no..there is no order.hes a drinks all the time and cannot hold down a job.hes abusive.throw things.she's want to protect the child.....thankyou

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
her best bet...

Would be to seek out a local women's shelter. They will be able to tell her exactly what she needs to do, and what steps to take to protect her child and herself. That's where I would go if I were in her situation. Usually the front part of a phone book has emergency numbers, and there's generally a listing for abusive situations. It might be at the front of the yellow pages, or at the front where they have community info.

She could also call 1-799-SAFE (7233) or check online at http://www.ndvh.org/ ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">