• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of Verbal Contract????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daveXn

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

A friend came upon some unexpected financial trouble. I was assured that this was just a short term crisis and that the money would be paid back in under 1 month. So, I wrote a check for $1,500. I never wrote that this was a loan on the check. Well, it's now been 1 year and I haven't received a dime.

The only evidence that I have is the cancelled check and a voice mail message from him. His message states that he's sorry that he hasn't paid back "the money". He never stated the amount in the message.

Would this be enough to prove that the check was a loan? If not, what should my next move be??

thanks.

dave.

stephenk

for small claims court that should be enough proof. Have you loaned him any other money less than the $1,500? I ask because he may claim he was talking about the lesser loan amount.

Moral of the story: Dont "lend" money to friends without putting it down on paper. If the friend objects, you know they werent planning to pay you back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">