• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Checking account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MatthewC

What is the name of your state? Florida--soon-to-be-ex is in Jersey.
My wife and I have a joint checking account and the credit union says I cannot close the account because I have a car loan through them (wife has car) that is taken out automatically. This does not sound legal. And since my wife and I have been separated, she has been writing checks against this account in addition to the money I send her and in addition to the payments I make FOR this car (and in addition to the Health insurance I pay for our daughter, life insurance for both of THEM, etc.)

How can I get this account inaccessible to her? She tells me she is getting papers drawn up for the divorce by her lawyer in Jersey but I haven't received anything yet!

nailtech

you can put a hold on the account, that will force her to make payments the old fashon way...... mail them and the money that remains in the account would be split up after the divorce equally

have you tried to remove your name from the account?

nothing is stopping you from going to another bank and depositing your money in an account with your name alone...

not sure how long she's been in Jersey but you have to establish domicile before you can file for divorce in most states it can be from 60 days to 6 months...

my husband went through something like this with his ex, she filed, he was paying her bills with their joint account, she kept insisting he was spending money foolishly and so she filed to have the accounts frozen, which she cut her own throat at that time, took longer to get her bills paid cause he had to go open another account with only his name on it... oh and if your letting her keep the car, and the loan has both names on it, in the papers you should be able to force her to refinance it to get your name off of it, if not, there are horror stories on here of people not paying the bill and them coming after your for the balance after they repoed the car... just remember if she files she most likely gets the papers drawn up her way.... If it were me, I would file before her and get it over with so I could move on with life... just my opinion...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">