• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Sue or Not to Sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JiltedInGA

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Well, to make a long story short, my boyfriend of 1 1/2 years just dumped me. We lived together for the whole 1 1/2 years except for the first 2 months. We got 2 different apartments in the last 1 1/2 years that only had my name on the lease (he was listed as a tenant only). All utilities were also listed in my name. We also had 2 cell phones listed, again, in my name. I did everything in my name because his credit was shot and I was trying to help him start a business. Also, he charged many things to one of my credit cards for his business but never paid me for them. And lastly, I supported him for a period of almost a year while he was in between jobs. I paid for rent, groceries, you name it, with other credit cards.

So next, you guessed it, he walked out without paying a dime. The cell phones got cut off with a bill totaling more than $600. I'm now more than $15,000 in debt because of him and I can't get in touch with him to try to collect anything. He also took a few personal belongings of mine that I'd like to have back. I don't know what his new address is, but I do know how to get in touch with his mom, sister, and best friend. So, now I'm wondering if I should sue him since I can't seem to get him to return any phone calls. Do I have grounds to sue??? :(

stephenk

did you have an agreement with him that you were loaning him the money you spent on his behalf? If yes, was it in writing? If no, I doubt he will agree that you loaned him the money. He will most likely say it was a gift from you.

Unless you have unbiased witnesses that can testify that he said he would pay you back for what you spent on him, I seriously doubt you will be able to win.

Plus, the guy's an unemployed loser. Do you think you would ever get any of the money back?

J

JiltedInGA

I'm sure you're right. Thanks for your help!! I'll see where it goes from here. I do now have two different e-mails from him stating that he owes me money...maybe that will help if I decide to go forward?!

stephenk

The emails will help. Try to get him to agree to some type of payment plan or to agree to the amount that is due so you have more ammo if you decide to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">