• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

take523

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? TX

I have been divorced since 1996 and our papers show that my ex husband was to give $100 each to our 2 children. That took him about 2 years before he even started sending his checks. He has been giving $150 to each of our kids monthly since but not one penny more. Our oldest is in college and my husband and I are
supporting both our kids full time. even though I have joint custody with my ex. The kids don't even spend summers with him like we agreed.

My question is: do I have any recourse to get him to support the kids since we all know that $150 doesn't go far even with groceries, let alone pay for college. He has remarried and his wife has one daughter who is in high school and his wife doesn't work. I don't feel it's fair that he's supporting his "new daughter" when his real kids are only being supported at $150 each?

What are my options?

Thanks.

kat1963

If you want more money, you have to file for modification...however, I do believe that your college student is emancipated, per Texas law (unless it was written into your divorce) therefore, he probably won't be liable for supporting him/her. In Texas there is NO statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.
(so technically, he's already paying 300 for the one minor child) It will take a few months to get to court, so I guess it would be worth it you considering how close to 18 your other child is....
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">