• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KateAngell

What is the name of your state? TX

After the divorce is final - do I have to legaly change my last name or is it noticed by the court that my name will change? I stated in the divorce papers that i wanted my maiden name back - but i'm just wondering if i can go ahead and legally change my name back to my maiden name.

usmcfamily

When the order is signed it should include the statement "petitioner/respondent (whichever you are in the case)'s name shall hereby be X" and will state your maiden name......once you have the LEGALLY SIGNED final order for divorce you will need to take it to the Social Security office and fill out the papers to change your name on the SS card.....once you have the new SS card with your new name on it you can start using it at work for pay related things, etc and to change the names on anything that requires your SS card (ie bank accounts, credit items, etc)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">