• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued and not sure why

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blqqeyes

What is the name of your state? oregon
a couple months ago, i sold a aluminum boat and motor, i explained to them everything that was wrong with the motor, most of it was obvious by looking at it (throttle handle broke) other than that, it ran fine. i gave them the option of just buying the boat, but they wanted both , wrote the check, i signed over the title. he then took the motor down to a repair shop and got an estimate on fixing the throttle which i am assuming was too high, so he called me back and i told him i would buy the motor back for $200. about a week later he shows up at the house with the gas can to the motor wanting his money and wanting me to go to the repair shop and pick up the motor myself. (no way was i doing that) he had to leave town for a few days and said he would get the motor and bring it all over together. and in the meantime, i bought another motor. next thing i know, they are wanting to know what is up. why im not getting the motor and paying them the money. leave harrassing messages on my machine saying they are taking me to small claims court. i did not pick up the motor, i do not have the motor. on my court paper it states i owe them $200 plus half of the repair estimate which was $30. im a little confused.

Last edited:

JETX

So are we. You were directly involved in this transaction and we presume have intimate knowledge of it. Yet, you ask us (who have NO knowledge of the facts) to try to GUESS what the claim is.

I presume that the buyer thinks you owe him some money. Contact the plaintiff and ask what he is asking, or go to court and find out and present a defense against the claim.

A

a neighbor

Sounds like they were trying to stiff you with the repair estimate (should you have gone and picked up the motor yourself.) Just explain to them, they return the motor they get 200 back. If I read it right your deal sounded fair to me, most people would have told them your SOL.

B

blqqeyes

Halket said:
So are we. You were directly involved in this transaction and we presume have intimate knowledge of it. Yet, you ask us (who have NO knowledge of the facts) to try to GUESS what the claim is.

I presume that the buyer thinks you owe him some money. Contact the plaintiff and ask what he is asking, or go to court and find out and present a defense against the claim.
I would like to know if there is any law stating that if you say you will buy something and they dont produce it, do you still have to buy it.

JETX

Though I don't see how your last question has any thing to do with your first post, but...
no, you do not have to pay for something that isn't delivered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">