• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked to leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pattiesue

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My husband has asked me to move out. Problems have continued for over two years and in the last 18 months, he has said he wanted me to move out three different times. He says he has already spoken to an attorney and the HE is ready to file for divorce, which would force me out of the house. Therefore, this is my question:
should I
1)wait for me to force me out with legal papers, or
2)move out on my own?

And if I wait for him to force me out, will I still be able to take my personal belongings or will they be frozen?

I do not want to take the risk of losing my and my kids personal property. Time is of the essence. Please respond today. Thanks!

J

jandjsmom

hi, i know how you feel. if i could do mine over again this is how i would do it. you make him leave. do not leave your home. it is as much yours as his. if he whats out of relationship he can go. if you do move out make sure you take your kids and all of your belongings you can and find a lawyer to file for custody of your kids. the day you leave make sure you have a lawyer. best of luck to you.

P

pattiesue

Asked leave

Thanks for the quick response. But I think maybe I need to add a little more information.
First, this is my second marriage: the kids are not his. (great!) We have none together)
Second, the house was bought and paid in full before the marriage so he CAN make me leave. i have already found that out.

And that's okay. I just don't want him keeping my things. Sorry for the confusion. I hope that clarifys the quesiton.

kat1963

My advice: Start looking for a place that you can afford. When you find one, rent it and start moving things that you aren't currently using into it. That's what I did. Tell him that once you have the papers in hand, you will make one final trip and that is that. You don't want to get hit with abandonment or anything (if it applies in your state). Once he sees a lawyer, it should only be a few days to obtain the paper work. How long were you married? Just because he owned the house before you were married, doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to anything....like the equity (if any) from then (marriage) till now.
KAT

P

pattiesue

We have been married now 3.5 years. I have a house lined up ...I just have to give the gentleman an answer by this weekend if I want it or not. Thanks for your advice.
I am also contacting my divorce attorney in the next few days to get her opinion.
Thanks again!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

On November 13th, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that someday he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his childhood friend, Oscar Madison. Sometime earlier, Madison's wife had thrown him out, requesting that he never return. Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I was reading our writer's post, and I was suddenly reminded of the similarities between her situation and that of "The Odd Couple" - - Felix Unger and Oscar Madison.

Our writer's marriage lasted about as long as the show. Oscar had asked Felix to move out at least 3 times over the course of the show's running. Felix had kids who disliked Oscar.

And you know - - our writer's situation is current, and Neil Simon wrote about a similar situation (in the form of "The Odd Couple") more than 32 years ago.

Ah, yes, good times.

IAAL

A

ahutchGA

Pop culture icon today, IAAL?

You are really up on the pop culture references today, ,aren't you, IAAL?

Bonnie Raitt on another post, the Odd Couple on this post?

Now if you start putting your sweater on and tieing your shoes, I'm outta here!
:p

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a wonderful day in this neighborhood...

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">