• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

used car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rrs

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NJ

I just made a used car purchase last evening with a private party. The transaction is done by the base of sellers info the truck can tow 6500lb. After the purchase, I went thru the manual and found the truck can tow only 4000lb. I tried to terminate the transaction this morning. The seller was agreed thsi morning and supposed to the exchange of the truck and money this evening. Now he said this is not his problem. He start saying he said 5500lb towing capability by mistake. It looks like not long time he would start saying 4000lb.

Can I do something on it? Do I have only choice of "taking loss" and try to re-sell the truck in a used market by myself, and by another one?

I appreciate any of your help.

Best Regards,

JETX

Q1) "Can I do something on it?"
A1) Yes, you can drive the truck. Is this claim of towing capacity a part of your purchase agreement?? If so, then you MIGHT have a cause of action for the value difference. If not, then it is simply your word against his.... and could have been a very common mistake. Further, you have an inherent responsibility to know what you are purchasing. And since this information is (or was) readily available, you had a responsibility to know what you were buying.

Q2) "Do I have only choice of "taking loss" and try to re-sell the truck in a used market by myself, and by another one?"
A2) See A1.

"I appreciate any of your help."
Your any welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">