• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can charges be pressed.......?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unicorn4003

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
My sister-in-law had been staying at her sister's house for a period of a few days, she has done this off and on for a while, taking care of the sister's child, helping out in whatever way she could, etc.. The sister's husband is known for his abusive behavior at times. Well one evening he came home and my sister-in-law had asked him a question and for whatever reason he started hollering and carrying on and my sister-in-law told him that he was not going to talk to her the way he talked to his wife, her sister, he blew up told her to get out, she called me and told me to pick her up because he had threatened to jump on her, by the time i made it down there he had threw her through the front door and caused her to get stitches. Charges were pressed on him and now the sister is telling my sister-in-law that if she goes to court they will put charges on her after court. My question is: Can they do this? What would they charge her with? Trespassing? she was invited. For standing up to him? He probably deserved it! Please any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Beth3

Let me get this straight. Your SIL's sister was saying at her house out of the kindness of her heart to take care of her children, etc. The abusive husband pretty much beat her up and threw her out. Now the SIL is telling her sister that if she pursues the charges she filed, they'll press charges against her? Very nice. Odds are the wife is just saying what her husband is telling her and is afraid to do otherwise though.

Listen, anybody can go to the police and alledge anything. The husband and wife can accuse her of stealing the Hope Diamond from their house if they want to. But with the obvious physical battery the sister sustained and criminal charges pending against the husband, their doing that and without any evidence of whatever allegations they'd trump up would be such an obvious retalliation and harassment ploy, I seriously doubt it would get very far. The police and DA aren't dumb. The husband and wife could also end up being charged with filing a false complaint.

U

unicorn4003

Thank you Beth3 I feel the same way i was just wondering could they legally do this since no charges have been pressed on her since the incident.:)

U

unicorn4003

can charges be pressed?

So does anyone know if they ( the sister-in-law) can press charges if my sister-in-law shows up at court to proceed with the charges?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">