• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coupon sale, interstate fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

konan

What is the name of your state? CA

I have sold a bunch of airline discount coupons on ebay. Recently a fraud investigator has contaced me and told me that i was committing interstate fraud. He pushed me for a source from whom i was getting the certificates and wouldn't belive that i bought it from a stranger on the street. He has threated me saying that he was going to have the FBI and the police after me. Is this just a threat or with what he has, the transaction logs on ebay, does he have enough against me in order to actually send the police after me? Note: My auctions were valid under ebay terms and condition. I was actually selling a piece of art and the coupons were included gifts. What can he do to me and what procautions should i take to ensure my safety? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Beth3

Who was the fraud investigator working for? The airlines? The FAA? Some branch of law enforcement? In other words, is it likely he/she was in a position to know the legalities involved?

Since you bought the discount coupons from a stranger you met on the street (not your smartest move, frankly), it's also possible they were stolen which would result in an additional charge for receipt of stolen merchandise. I suspect you should talk to a criminal attorney asap. Sounds like you may need representation.

K

konan

Hi and thanks

The person that called said he was a detective from San Mateo Police. The person i bought the certificate from said he bought it from an auction and i believed him. Would i still be liable for damages as a secondary person owning supposedly illegal goods? Any help would be thankful.

Beth3

Possession of stolen goods is a crime. Even if you didn't know they were stolen, you can still be charged.

Just as a word of future advice and not to pour salt in an open wound, if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Ya gotta ask yourself why some guy you bumped into on the street is willing to sell you a bunch of discount airline coupons at an attractive price, when he could have auctioned them on e-bay himself and made more money.

Assuming the caller was with the San Mateo Police as he said, you really need to talk to a criminal attorney. It would be smart to do so now before any formal criminal charges are filed. A good atty may be able to keep your fanny out of the fire by pro-actively talking to law enforcement or the D.A. and convincing them you were just naive and foolish. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">