• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court after final divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twinkie1981

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My divorce is final and I am legally single with an ex wife. During the course of our separation and divorce proceedings, my ex wife forged my signature on a credit application trying to consolidate two credit cards that were in both of our names jointly into this one new credit card in my name only. She filled out the application and signed my name to it. She made the mistake of writing her social security number on the application but then writing over it with my social security number. The only way I found out about this was I got a denial letter mailed directly to me. I called asking what the letter was about and they told me about the application. I told the credit card company I was unaware of any application made in my name to their company and asked for a copy of the application. They sent it to me and that's when I noticed her handwriting, her signing my name, and the mix up in social security numbers. Can I legally sue her for forgery? Is there any other law she's breaking that I could sue her for? Thank you!

C

civiltongue

It appears that you weren't damaged (you lost no money) so there's nothing to sue for in any court.

My suggestion would be to talk to a detective at your local police station and ask him to take a forgery report. It's unlikely that the city or district attorney would file criminal charges, but at least you've documented the chicanery for use in any future civil court action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">