• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife Calling House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsister

New York. My husband's ex-wife is a nuisance. When we moved, I set up the home phone number in my mother's maiden name and made it unlisted and blocked it. Somehow this psycho woman got the number - we're thinking from a police report we filed against her for violation of visitation. I pay $1.95 for the number to be unlisted and it would cost $45 to get a new number. Can I sue her for invading my privacy? The number is essentially MINE - my husband uses a cellphone. She uses the excuse she is calling for their son but each time they've gone to court for unrelated matters, she has been told by the judge the cellphone number is the number to reach the child at. I've contacted the police - they say if she calls again I can have her arrested since I've told her not to call. Is there anything I can do to her in civil court? No phone call order? Monetary damages? Thanks...

JETX

"Can I sue her for invading my privacy?"
"Is there anything I can do to her in civil court?"
"No phone call order?"
"Monetary damages?"

Of course you can sue her (almost anyone can sue anyone else over almost anything!!!).

So, here is what you will need to do..... (reality check!)
1) Sell your house and all belongings (the lawsuit will be EXPENSIVE and you will have to pay all costs and fees).
2) Then, determine what your real damages are and how you will prove the damage amount.
3) Find a REAL hungry attorney (he will have to have little or no cases to accept this one) or a new 'grad'.
4) File your lawsuit and then wait a year or two for the courts to get around to your case.
5) Cross your fingers and hope that you get a judge who is so old that he will not understand what your complaint is...... and you might even get to court.

lilsister

Gee thanks for the sarcasm. So basically this woman can keep calling me for no good reason after I've told her to stop. Gee, I guess I can start calling and harassing people on the phone too with no legal recourse. Lots of people on my $hit list so I better get started since I can't be sued and they can't win.

JETX

You need to read my response... I didn't say that there was "no legal recourse". I didn't say that you "can't be sued and they can't win.".

What I did say was that trying to prosecute a childish, immature, ridiculous complaint like this one would be unrealistic and a waste of money.

Change your phone number. And then keep changing it as long as you have to. Get caller ID and don't answer her calls. Get an answering machine and 'screen' the calls'. Get that new service from the phone company where they give you selective ringing... and only give the 'code' to friends. Get a grip on reality.

(Reality check flamesuit is donned and ready!!)

Last edited:

lilsister

Thanks Laura - I will. She uses the phone calls as a guise that she's calling for their son. Meanwhile she certainly had to go out of her way to get the number in the first place. It was well hidden and we have always been very selective about who we give it too b/c she is such a nut! I did notify the police and there is something called *57 that you press after she's called and it traces the number. After three traces, the detectives give the witch a little visit. I'm having an attorney friend draft a cease and desist letter to. I'm not playing around. I relish my privacy and since she won't play by the rules set forth in court i.e. using the cellphone number, she has to learn the hard way. No sweat off my brow...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">