• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

opinions please.... is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lasco

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My daughter (age 18) gave a ride to her boyfriends sister and the sisters boyfriend. The boyfriend is 29 years old. She was bringing them to pick up a car. On the way, they stopped at a package store where the 29 year old purchased beer for the girlfriends father. He put the beer in the trunk. She then drove them to where they were picking up their car. She got out of the car and opened the trunk. The boyfriend picked up the beer and was going to bring it to his vehicle, they were then going to leave and my daughter was going to go home. The police pulled up and told him to put the beer down. They charged my daughter with being a minor in possession of alcohol. She explained to them that all she had done was give them a ride. The police told her that because he was not an immediate relative of hers, she could not drive him to the package store. They also explained that if HE had been driving the car, that also would have been okay. But because it was my daughter's car, she was driving, and she's 18, she cannot have alcohol in the car even if it belongs to a legal adult who is in the car with her. Again, the beer was in the trunk - unopened. The police watched them at the package store, and then followed them to the home where the other car was. They watched her open the trunk for the boyfriend, and they watched him pick up the beer to bring to his own car. They then stepped in and confiscated the beer and charged my daughter with her crime. How can giving somebody a ride be a crime? If it was, why didn't they do something at the package store instead of watching, then following them to another location? I could understand if my daughter dropped off the sister and boyfriend, then drove away with the beer still in the car. But all she did was bring them to the store, then let them out of her car with their beer. The cops made him put the beer down, then they confiscated it. I'm confused. Did my daughter legally really do anything wrong?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">