• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Swords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer9182

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Do you know of the specific laws for Ohio that pertain to owning/carrying a sword as well as age limits? I couldn't find any information online, and I even saught help from the library, but to no avail. My neighbors suggested that since I like swords so much, that I should add a sword to my outfit when I go to an SCA event (I am 17 years old). What do you think?

Also, I didn't know where to place this inquiry. If there is a better place, please move it there. ;)

Last edited:

JETX

A sword is classified as a 'deadly weapon'.
Ohio Code:
"§ 2923.11 Definitions.
As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:
(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon."

Ohio Code:
"§ 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons. -- Prior to 7-1-96
Text of Statute
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on his person or concealed ready at hand, any deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance.
(B) This section does not apply to officers, agents, or employees of this or any other state or the United States, or to law enforcement officers, authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance, and acting within the scope of their duties.
(C) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than dangerous ordnance, that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon, and that any of the following apply:
(1) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes, while he was engaged in or was going to or from his lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of such character or was necessarily carried on in such manner or at such a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent man in going armed.
(2) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes, while he was engaged in a lawful activity, and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon himself or a member of his family, or upon his home, such as would justify a prudent man in going armed.
(3) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for any lawful purpose and while in his own home.
(4) The weapon was being transported in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, and was not on the actor's person, and, if the weapon was a firearm, was carried in compliance with the applicable requirements of division (C) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.
(D) Whoever violates this section is guilty of carrying concealed weapons, a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section or of any offense of violence, if the weapon involved is a firearm and the violation of this section is committed at premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, if the weapon involved is a firearm which is either loaded or for which the offender has ammunition ready at hand, or if the weapon involved is dangerous ordnance, then carrying concealed weapons is a felony of the third degree. If the offense is committed aboard an aircraft, or with purpose to carry a concealed weapon aboard an aircraft, regardless of the weapon involved, carrying concealed weapons is a felony of the second degree."

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qwer9182 said:
Your answer covers concealed weapons only. Usually when one wears a sword it is not hidden.
My response:

Unless "SCA" is an acronym for something that has to do with Pirates, swords are a real fashion mistake and are a bit gaudy nowadays. Perhaps in the 17th and 18th centuries, and if this were England or Jamaica, I'd say go for it. However, I really think you'd be looking for trouble from Mr. Blackwell and the police.

Aye, aye, me matey!

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

. . . and besides, you'd probably be asked by a lot of the women at the SCA meeting the same old question - - "Hey, is that a sword, or are you just happy to see me?"

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My even further response:

. . . and, you could even be asked by the head SCA leader the following question - - "Hey, where are your Buccaneers?" To which you would reply, "They're under my 'bucken' hat!"

IAAL

Last edited:

qwer9182

The SCA is a medieval recreation group where I have seen several (some reoccuring) occasions where people include a sword as part of their outfit.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qwer9182 said:
The SCA is a medieval recreation group where I have seen several (some reoccuring) occasions where people include a sword as part of their outfit.
My response:

Oh, you mean the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). Well, then by all means, as long as it's for recreation and accuracy of costume, then you should wear it - - right along with your long gun.

Save Princess Marrionne for me !

IAAL

qwer9182

Thanks for your advice. And no, I don't think swords are in the least bit gaudy. They also make excellent wall decor!

JETX

Are you intending to just strap the sword on your belt or to carry it in a scabbard???? If you are carrying in a scabbard that is a CONCEALED weapon!! Are you planing on walking to your 'activities'?? If not, then depending on how it is stored, that can also be a CONCEALED weapon. Simply, why would you be willing to risk the cost and ordeal of getting charged (and big $$ in defending yourself), just so that you can play for real??? Get a good plastic or safe sword and then play to your hearts content.

Also, you don't say where you are in Ohio, but a lot of the cities have local ordinances... such as Lakewood, OH:
"549.07 UNLAWFUL TRANSACTIONS IN WEAPONS.
(a) No person shall:
(1) Manufacture, carry about his or her person, possess for sale, sell or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife and/or spring loaded weapon capable of propelling a knife or knifelike projectile, including, but not limited to, a ballistic knife (sometimes referred to commonly as a KGB knife) or other similar weapon and/or any advanced martial arts weapon, including, but not limited to, a shurikan (throwing star), nunchuck, sword, knife, staff, tonfa, kama, sai and/or other similar weapon. "
Source: http://www.lkwdpl.org/city/code/ch549.htm

qwer9182

Well, I haven't done anything myself, but I have seen them carried inside a scabbard. I did inquire about the swords I saw. It is in Euclid, Ohio (we live in Chesterland). Also, does the same apply to real (steel) swords that just haven't been sharpened?

Also, according to that site, the use of the long baseball bat/stick-like 'swords' they use to hit each other is also illegal.

Halket said:
Are you intending to just strap the sword on your belt or to carry it in a scabbard???? If you are carrying in a scabbard that is a CONCEALED weapon!! Are you planing on walking to your 'activities'?? If not, then depending on how it is stored, that can also be a CONCEALED weapon. Simply, why would you be willing to risk the cost and ordeal of getting charged (and big $$ in defending yourself), just so that you can play for real??? Get a good plastic or safe sword and then play to your hearts content.

Also, you don't say where you are in Ohio, but a lot of the cities have local ordinances... such as Lakewood, OH:
"549.07 UNLAWFUL TRANSACTIONS IN WEAPONS.
(a) No person shall:
(1) Manufacture, carry about his or her person, possess for sale, sell or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife and/or spring loaded weapon capable of propelling a knife or knifelike projectile, including, but not limited to, a ballistic knife (sometimes referred to commonly as a KGB knife) or other similar weapon and/or any advanced martial arts weapon, including, but not limited to, a shurikan (throwing star), nunchuck, sword, knife, staff, tonfa, kama, sai and/or other similar weapon. "
Source: http://www.lkwdpl.org/city/code/ch549.htm

Last edited:
A

ahutchGA

Takes me back

I haven't heard about SCA in a long time. My college roommate in Mobile, Alabama, belonged to a local group.

By the way, IAAL, great material.
:)

Seriously, if I were the poster, I would just buy a fake sword at Wal-Mart or Target or something, and leave the real one at home as a wall hanging.

Just my opinion.

qwer9182

Halket--where are you?

Where is Halket? Just appeared saying that swords in scabbards are 'concealed' and then just disappeared with no followthrough.

T

talianna

Well, I don't know about the SCA (too stuffy a bunch for me), but every renfest I've been to requires you to either "peace tie" (they put those plastic things similar to trash bag ties, but stronger, at the one we go to every year) your weapon or leave it at home.

There was a line in there that might get you into the place, and if they allow 'em, you should be ok....

(4) The weapon was being transported in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, and was not on the actor's person, and, if the weapon was a firearm, was carried in compliance with the applicable requirements of division (C) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.

So if you toss it into the trunk to lawfully transport it to the site, you could possibly get away with it, since parading around in hose and a doublet with a sword, while it may be strange to some people, is kinda' expected there.

Or are you one of those people who just wants to carry a sword while wearing jeans and a t-shirt to feel like you're part of the crowd?

Check with the SCA's website about the legality of the whole thing. They probaly have it researched for each state they hold events in. And God knows they love rules...

IAAL... great sense of humor, as always!

I'm not an attorney, and don't have the patience to be one. So don't take anything I say as absolutely right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">