• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

odievegas

What is the name of your state? california
my husband and i just were divorced last year and in our divorce settlement he owned me 8000.00 dollars. now he files for a personal bankruptcy and sends me a letter saying he doesn't owe me the 8000.00 anymore. is now the divorce settlement void and he doesn't owe me the monies anymore..
thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

odievegas said:
What is the name of your state? california
my husband and i just were divorced last year and in our divorce settlement he owned me 8000.00 dollars. now he files for a personal bankruptcy and sends me a letter saying he doesn't owe me the 8000.00 anymore. is now the divorce settlement void and he doesn't owe me the monies anymore..
thank you
My response:

He is absolutely, 100%, correct. Federal Bankruptcy laws "trump" State court orders - - all day long, 7 days a week.

IAAL

vrzirn

When the California judge addressed this issue in my divorce trial he told the ex he could not escape into bankruptcy from debts he owed to me(severally) and to my mother(jointly).
Ex had to pay up. BK was declared after divorce but before resolution of Reseved Issues. The debts were deducted from his share of real property and pension fund assets and moved to my column.
I realize Family Court judges have great discretion but his ruling is the exact opposite of your answer to our poster.
IAAL, please explain your answer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vrzirn said:
When the California judge addressed this issue in my divorce trial he told the ex he could not escape into bankruptcy from debts he owed to me(severally) and to my mother(jointly).
Ex had to pay up. BK was declared after divorce but before resolution of Reseved Issues. The debts were deducted from his share of real property and pension fund assets and moved to my column.
I realize Family Court judges have great discretion but his ruling is the exact opposite of your answer to our poster.
IAAL, please explain your answer.
My response:

Easy.

In your case, the judge made a specific order concerning Bankruptcy. Your husband could still have filed BK, and it would have absolved him of his debts to you and your mother - - however, he would have still been in contempt of the court's order, and the judge would have jailed him and thrown away the key. Not a very easy choice for your hubby to make. But, since there were other assets, and despite his BK, all the judge had to do was shift assets from him, to you and mom. If there were no other assets, and he filed BK, he would have needed a toothbrush, a change of underwear, and some KY Jelly.

In our writer's post, she never makes mention of a specific order concerning BK. Therefore, our writer's husband was free to file BK, without any ill effects, or running afoul of the court's orders.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">