• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce without a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dardarg

virgina
do i need a lawyer to get a divorce? where do i start. i need it asap

D

dardarg

even without experience the divorce will be easy we have been separated 10 yrs and both just want out. there is nothing to divide and no custody to go through.
so, do i by law have to have a lawyer in the state of va

Whyte Noise

dardarg said:
even without experience the divorce will be easy we have been separated 10 yrs and both just want out. there is nothing to divide and no custody to go through.
so, do i by law have to have a lawyer in the state of va
No, you don't HAVE to have an attorney. You go to the courthouse, and file your Bill of Complaint, civil case cover sheet, civil process form and "subpeona in chancery"; certificate and affidavit of service of process, and a completed VS4 form. Oh, and make sure you have the right number of copies of each. If you don't they can't be filed or served.

D

dardarg

THANK YOU

:D thanks a bunch
what is a VS4 form and where do i get it.

C

civiltongue

You're making IAAL's point.

You don't have to be a lawyer, but you do have to know a lot of what a lawyer knows.

See if there are "legal action workshops" in your state who can help you get the forms and work through the details, without actually giving you legal advice and acting as lawyers.

In CA there are detailed books that include the forms. Maybe something is available in your state.

But if your first question is, where do I get the forms, it gives me the impression that you're not really equipped to carry it out yourself.

D

dardarg

thanks everyone

thanks everyone but i found the information i needed. i plan to do it myself for a lot less than a lawyer was going to cost.

T

twinkie1981

It can be done. I had a friend who divorced her husband while he was in jail. She filed all the paperwork, got a court date, went to court, got divorced, and three weeks later got a check from the courhouse reimbursing her for the filing fee she paid. Now she brags how the courts "paid" her to divorce her ex! Obviously, the court time was a lot less than what she paid in filing fees and got the difference back. Good luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">