• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

QuickQuestion

What is the name of your state? Maine

I received a Statement of Claim from a former co-worker. We were doing work in another state and he reserved my hotel room on his credit card. I payed the balance each week at the front desk.

I went home for a weeks vacation and another co-worker took over the room(still in my name, still under the first co-workers credit card...yes, we are young and stupid) with the understanding that he would stay in the room and when I got back I would stay with someone else.

While home on vacation, the company I worked for lost a contract and we were all laid off. The co-worker who took over the room left without checking out.

It was two weeks before we found out the room was still being charged.

Who owes for these 2 weeks? Me or the 2nd co-worker?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Q

QuickQuestion

I know this isn't a very important matter, but does anyone know?
If I owe, I'll pay...My thought is that the person who took responsibility for the room after I left should pay the extra two weeks.
Just don't want to commit to paying if I shouldn't:confused:

Thanks again

JETX

You said, "I went home for a weeks vacation and another co-worker took over the room(still in my name, still under the first co-workers credit card...yes, we are young and stupid) with the understanding that he would stay in the room and when I got back I would stay with someone else. "

Who was this 'side agreement' made with??? Was the card holder aware and ACCEPTED the fact that someone else would assume liability for the room payment???? If so, then the card holder needs to go after the person HE/SHE made the agreement with.

However, if this new 'roommate' was found by you and the card holder had no approval or acceptance of this 'replacement', then the liability for payment is on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">