• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation - Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melcene

What is the name of your state? WA

A family member of mine has taken to spreading nasty rumors about me and my parenting abilities. Although she is known to lie about things, she is still believed by many. Just before Christmas, I found out from others that I supposedly had Child Protective Services called to my house (never happened). Just recently, I hear that this family member is telling people that my 3 year old daughter got out of our apartment when no one was paying attention, and that she was picked up by the police.

I have no idea how many people are being told these things. I am starting to worry, though, that something like this could get back to DSHS or something and start an investigation. I believe I am a good parent, but this family member knows her way around the system. I do not want to lose my child to a drug-addicted pathological liar just because she's been on the system so long, she knows how to manipulate it.

What should I do?

J

juicysaunders

Call an attorney. Your children should be the most important thing in the world to you, and no lying relative is worth chancing losing them .

Beth3

Generally speaking, the legal standard for defamation is that the individual is knowingly telling falsehoods with the intention of doing you harm and you suffer damages as a result. Depending upon the type of slanderous lies that are being told, damages may sometimes be assumed and needn't be demonstrated.

I don't know if your situation rises to the level of actionable slander or defamation but I also urge you to speak to an attorney to find out what can be done about this woman before she goes any further. It's possible a nasty letter from an attorney threatening legal action if she doesn't stop might get her attention. On the other hand, if she is indeed a drug addicted pathological liar, it just might egg her on. You'll need to evaluate your options carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">