• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nicole02

What is the name of your state? Ar
how long does a restraining order issued by the court last? does it only last until the person is off probation or what?

Beth3

That should be stated in the restraining order itself. I don't believe that there is any one answer to your question. Some RO's are permanent, others are temporary for differing lengths of time.

Just because a person is on probation doesn't mean there is a restraining order against them. If the person is on probation for domestic violence, harassment, or a similar crime, it is very likely there is also a restraining order against them.

N

Nicole02

the order was placed when we filed harrassment and terroristic threatening charges against a guy. he was advised not to bother me while he was on probation so does that mean its only for that time?

Beth3

Sounds like it. Most restraining orders are temporary and it's likely that if you obtained one back when you first filed charges, it's since expired and/or has been superceded by the criminal sentance imposed. It's likely the judge ordered that as a condition of probation, he not have any contact with you. If he violates his probation, he goes to jail.

Since you are confused as to the terms of this guy's sentence and as you have very good reason to know what those are, I suggest you contact the Ass't District Attorney who prosecuted the case and find out exactly what the guy's sentence included and for how long. You can also try contacting the office of the Clerk of Courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">