• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing across state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vavib

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

In September, I lent a friend $1000. I know not to lend friends money but it was a tough time and it was because he had no money and had to take a trip to Manhattan. We had a verbal agreement that he would pay me back after he was paid for the next project he was working on.

Of course, things kept coming up and it never happened. When I loaned him the money, he was living in California.

In December, he moved to Missouri and has been ignoring all of my attempts to get the money back, including a certified letter, that I have his signature on receiving. I also have an email from many months ago in which he admits to owing me a grand.

I want to sue him in small claims court but since he is across state lines, it sounds like that isnt possible. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ALawyer said:
Sue him in a higher court.
My response:

ALawyer, would you explain your response a little further? Regardless of expenses involved, is there something new about the law that differentiates Small Claims court versus Superior Court in terms of jurisdiction and judgments; e.g., "Sister State" enforcement of judgments?

Thank you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">