• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice about my husbands crazy ex.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mychele76

What is the name of your state? California

Hello Everyone!!

I'll try and make this short. My husband and his ex wife got divorced about a year and a half ago after being seperated for quite some time. In that time she has done nothing to try and make us as miserable as possible. They had an amicable divorce and compromised on everything.

My husband got the house ( this place was a disaster at the time) and there was only $10,000 worth of equity in the home at the time. With the house he got all the bills, these include the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on the house. A $10,000 credit card bill. the $6,000 tax debt. A $2,000 credit card. A $200 credit card and a few other little things. He was to keep 20% of the assets and she was to get the rest and one small school loan. She was to take 80% but took more like 95%. The only things she didn't take were a broken down couch, the boys half broken bunk bed, an old burned up piano, and a junky trailer that she didn't want to pay to store. She even took some of his clothes. They agreed on no child support as she makes more than him and they agreed to share custody of the kids equally.

Everything was ok with them until he met me. When she found out about me she decided she wanted to get back together with him. He turned her down and she went crazy. Since then she has been unbearable.

She plays games with the kids, makes harassing phone calls several times a week, denies him visitation etc. After we were married and I moved in here we began fixing up this house to sell it. We have a mixed family and with 5 children we need a larger home. The house looks great now and we are ready to put it on the market. The great thing for us is the the property value in our area is at an all time high. Here is the problem.

His ex is demanding that we give her 1/2 of whatever we make on the house. She says she has an attorney and can make us give her half or move out and give the home to her as she is STILL refusing to sign the quit claim deed even though the house was clearly his in the divorce. She sent someone over to get the trailer as she feels the need to sell it now. She is now demanding her piano (its an eye sore and I want it out of here but moving it will cost us a fortune). I have told her to come get it several times and she always says next week etc. My questions are:
1. Is there any way we can force her to sign the quit claim deed?
2. Does she have any right to any money from the house?
3. Can I just get rid of the trailer and the nasty paino?

Any help anyone can give me with this nut would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks So Much,

Mychele

Last edited:

D

dorenephilpot

If the divorce decree didn't say anything about her getting half the value of the home when it was sold later, then she doesn't have a claim to it. That ended with the finalization of the divorce.

As to the piano, if she wants it that bad, then SHE can pay to move it. Her problem, not yours.

Give her a deadline, in writing, to remove the property, such as the piano and trailer, such as 60 days. Also, inform her that if she doesn't remove the items within that time frame that you intend to donate them to charity (or sell them).

With the missed visits, a contempt action is probably in order.

Her failure to sign the quit-claim deed is also a potential contempt action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">