• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old son hit mailbox pole by accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jojobeau

What is the name of your state? state of kansas -
Last Sundayafternoon, my 17 year old son back into a mailbox pole, this was not intentional, it was in his blind spot. There are 3 mailboxes on a wooden platform. The platform is held up
by 2 poles, he hit and broke one of the poles. We personally know the owner of one of the mailboxes. This person was playing in a fund-raiser basketball tournament where my son was going to at the time of the incident. My son found him at the tournament and told him about it. He told him he would fix it. Unfortunately, the mailbox owner’s wife didn’t know this and had called the cops. She didn’t know my son had hit the pole and was just reporting that someone had hit the pole. The next day, a police officer called my home to speak with my son. the officer didn’t want to talk to me or my husband, just to my son,
who was to call the police station at 9pm or he would come to our house at 9:15pm. When we got this message (around 5pm), I took my son to the location and talked to the owners. The wife was very apologetic about getting the cops involved. We agreed that we would start repairing the pole before 9pm. My son started working: he pulled out the undamaged pole and was mixing quickcrete to reset it when a police car pulled up and
informed us we had to stop because the officer (who lives a block away) who responded to the case had to take pictures. We waited a short while and the second officer who wasn’t due for work until 9 p.m. showed up. After taking pictures, he wanted to see the vehicle my son was driving. So we drove to my house where the vehicle was. He took pictures of the car and we came into the house. He wanted to see the registration, insurance and my son’s license. We gave him the appropriate papers. My son has a learner’s permit and had a friend in the car who has a driver’s license, however this friend is only 16 and with a learner’s permit you need someone with a license and OVER
the age of 18. The officer asked if I knew my son had the car, which I did. So he informed me that I could be charged too, that hitting a mailbox is a felony, even if it is an accident. I informed the officer that my son would repair the damage the next day as soon as we went to the closet city (30 miles away) to get a new pole. The officer said that he would forward his report to the county attorney and we would hear from him. The next day, we purchased a new pole, 3 new mailboxes (the old ones were NOT damaged but were old) and by 3:30pm the work was completed. My son set the new poles in quickcrete - they were originally just set in the ground. We gave the old mailboxes to the owners and promised to get them new numbers for the mailboxes even though only one mailbox had numbers on it. All the owners were very appreciative and thanked my son. We called the police station to inform them the work was completed, the officer on the
case was not on duty yet but the other officer came by and said it looked good. We still haven’t heard from the officer on the case, but my biggest concern is whether or not this really is a felony and what the consequences for my son will be. Does anyone have any advice. TIA

C

CaliCat

They had to have been talking out of their asses. That's ridiculous to say it's a felony. The only crime commited was allowing him to drive with a permit without a licensed driver over 18. The owners aren't pressing charges. So don't worry, he's paid the "restitution" for the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">