• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shell7469

What is the name of your state? Maine I read that the 3 ways to serve notice on the defendent were by 1st class mail, certified mail, or the sheriff will serve the notice. I'm guessing that would mean serving it in person and having them sign the acknowledgement is out? Also, there were 2 people on the rental agreement (married couple) but their daughter and her boyfriend moved in sometime in October. They are over $1800 behind in the rent and were ordered this morning by a judge to be out by August 1st. I'm afraid they will move and I won't be able to find them before I can mail the small claims court notice or they won't sign and return it to me. Also, if I am bringing a claim against all 4 of the tennants (wether there with our permission or not), am I correct in that I need a seperate notice for service for each of them? Thanks!

I

Izzy321

I believe that you can only serve the people that are involved in the suit. As to whether you can serve the parties together, or have to serve them separately, you'll have to look into the small claims process for your state.
You, however, cannot serve the papers yourself. In most states, it has to be done by 1st class mail, certified mail, or by a third party that is neutral and/or someone from the sheriff's office, or, by someone who works for a service that is licensed by the state to do that. Again, you'll have to look into your state's laws to see who can serve.
As for the change of address, it is your responsibility to know where the parties live, and, if you have to, where they work for any writs, such as seizure of property or wage garnishments.

S

shell7469

Hi, it's Shell again from Maine. I actually asked the Court Clerk and she said it was all right for me to personally take the notice to them. The problem I am having now is that he is an over-the-road truck driver and didn't get in touch with me the 1 day he's been home in the last 2 weeks even though I politely asked that he do so. I gave the papers to his adult son and told him I needed a signed copy acknowledging that he had received them. I was, of course, assured he would get in touch with me, but I've heard that before. Also, when I ask for their forwarding address, they keep saying they don't have one because they don't know where they are going. They are supposed to be out in 2 days! Can I get that from the post office? I also wrote down their license plate # and know where they both work, at this time. I also got a call from them this morning asking if they could have another 3 days to "clean". I said no, there is someone that wants to move in this weekend. I know the judge said the writ will be written on the 1st, if they are not out by then, when do I contact the sheriff to have them removed. Man, I HATE all this! Why can't people just be decent and co-operate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">