• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in Divorce Jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jagjaglee

What is the name of your state? live in texas and have for past 3 years. divorced in alabama. i have custody of 3 minor children. ex still lives in alabama. i am remarried and want to file motion to move divorce to texas. my husband wants to adopt the kids and am told that unless divorce is in texas courts we would have to travel to alabama to pursue this.

D

dorenephilpot

Only way it's going to be moved is if you and your ex agree, plus the old and new courts also agree.

Chances are, that's not going to happen.

J

jagjaglee

re: change of jurisdiction of divorce

it is doubtful that my ex would object to a move in the divorce. when we divorced my lawyer bro-n-law told me that i could have this done after 3 years. was never sure why he offered that information to me. when i originally divorced and thought i would need some type of welfare assistance the state of texas attorney general's office wanted to become administrator of the child support rather than the state of alabama. if my ex and myself agree to a change in the jurisdiction, am i correct in thinking that the states involved shouldn't have a problem with it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">