• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background and criminal checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jezior7

What is the name of your state? tx

What do companies look for on the this background and criminal checks. I am having problems finding out? This is do to having some bad checks .However they have been taken care. I am having a hard time finding a job and i think it is because of the background checks. Cna any help me?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jezior7 said:
What is the name of your state? tx

What do they look for on the this background and criminal checks. I am having problems finding out?
My response:

Gee, what do you think "they" are looking for?

I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.

IAAL

Last edited:

Beth3

How do you even know all these employers are running background checks on you? If you've been called in for an interivew and been told that they're going to check references and do a criminal background check, then of course you would know for certain but if you're just filling out applications and not hearing back, then it's unlikely your supposition is correct. Employers typically don't waste their time doing background checks on candidates they haven't interviewed.

But to answer your question, an employer is looking for any criminal record that they need to be concerned about, particularly in the recent past. Convictions for drug dealing, sexual assault, pedophilia, armed robbery, multiple OWI's, etc., would be of great concern. An employer is also looking to see if you told the truth on your application. Virtually every application asks if the individual has ever been convicted of a crime (or similar language.) If you check "no," and your criminal check shows that to be a lie, you will be out of the running immediately.

I have hired a good number of people over the years with criminal convictions in their past but I have never hired somebody who lied about it.

jezior7

I was never convicted of anything to do with the checks. I payed them off. I was wondering do things like that come up?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends upon how thorough the background check is and what state you are in.

Not all background checks are created equal. Different employers look for different things. In fact, the same employer might look for different things depending on the position. I don't do an education check for a receptionist position but I do on a senior scientist. I don't run a criminal check on a lab assistant but I do on an accounts payable manager.

Beth is absolutely correct. I don't know of any employer who does a check of any kind on employees they haven't interviewed. Background checks cost money and it would be ridiculous to run one on every applicant. They are generally done only on the top candiates (I generally do checks on the top three) and then only when we are about ready to make an offer. In fact, some employers don't run them until they have already made an offer - it's called a "contingent offer".

So unless you are saying that you are frequently interviewed for a job and given every reason to believe that an offer will be made, only to have it pulled out from under you, it's unlikely to be the background checks that are causing the problem. It's a tough market out there.

S

scoobydoo2002

Background check

When applying for a job, does the prospective employer need to receive your permission(written) in order to conduct a criminal background check?

As the applicant, do you have the right to see a criminal report that was furnished to a prospective employer? If so, who would I contact to receive - the employer or the company supplying the report?

Z

Zollicoffer

IAAL

IAAL is a real clown. Doesn't have any intention of helping anyone, I don't know why he/she/it is on here. Of course living in the land of fruits and nuts, what can one expect. The only question is, is he/she/it a fruit or a nut?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: IAAL

Zollicoffer said:
IAAL is a real clown. Doesn't have any intention of helping anyone, I don't know why he/she/it is on here. Of course living in the land of fruits and nuts, what can one expect. The only question is, is he/she/it a fruit or a nut?

My response:

. . . and look what surfaced from the "Land of Incest". It's "Mr. Missing a Chromosome."

Isn't there an uncle, aunt, daughter or sister that's available for you this time of day? Hey, how about your criminal, high school dropout daughter?

IAAL

Last edited:
Z

Zollicoffer

My daughter is not a criminal. She's not been convicted of anything. She is also a high school graduate, are you? Well, now we know by your reply, you must surely be a fruit, but you might also be a nut too. Have you contracted AIDS yet?

kat1963

I'm currently from the South, no introduction needed. Hold on, let me install my Chicklet....okay...nows I can tak rite too be herd.
Yud can do dis sabout to fid out what dey do hav on ya' by goin to:
http://records.txdps.state.tx.us/
Dit wild cost ya a few homme bucs, but it did be wordth it.

Sad attempt at humor...it's slow here today. Go to the above link and run a check on yourself. It only shows convictions, so not to say they won't find something else. Most states have civil judgments ect. on line, you just have dig for them.

To answer your question, NO, they do NOT need your permission to run a back ground check. It is public information.

Good Luck.

KAT

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Zollicoffer said:

"My daughter is not a criminal."

======================================

My response:

Oh, no. Of course not. She was only caught on videotape stealing from her employer's cash register. Apparently, your incestuous relationship with your own daughter (who, herself is the product of one of those "down home" sexual trysts with your sister) can't even understand, due to the "brain crazies", that she's a criminal. What a dolt. Does good ol' "Kintucky" got more of you like dat? Got some bathtub gin? Go run some "shine" you piece of crap.

Go away, Felix - - and try to pull some magic out of your bag of tricks. Maybe, you can magically make her eventual conviction just disappear. What do you think, "Mr. Missing a Chromosome"?

IAAL

lauras2u

Re: IAAL

Zollicoffer said:

Perhaps he is just crunchy genola.

Z

Zollicoffer

IAAL

Well IAAL, the ferry faget has returned.

Y'all know he/she/it lives in LA and thank God it won't be too long before LA is once again returned to Mexico. He/she/it should be right at home with all his/her/it's wetback buddies.

Korse, who no, he/she/it jes mite be in de bed wit ol' brutha Je$$e Jacka$$ ore Je$$e'$ shack up girl friend, dependin' on ifn' he be's a brutha or a sistah. You can't neber tells bout dem negro folks.

Hey, IAAL, why don't you go screw yourself, God knows no one else will. And if'n you're an it, maybe you can reproduce with yo self. You're a sarcastic ******* who has no business being on this board where people are trying to get some help. Do everyone a favor and get lost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">