• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twinkie1981

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I've just finished a very long (2-year) divorce which ended just two weeks ago. When I retained my attorney, I told him I would be able to pay him $2,000 up front as a retainer and continued to make payments to him as I got paid. My comment was "As long as I have a job, you will continue to get money from me". My attorney agreed and said "no problem" and took on my case. It started as a custody battle with a court appointed guardian ad litem for my daughter as well as counselors. My ex-wife has a history of violence, showed violence towards my daughter throughout this whole divorce thing, and still harbors bad feelings and takes it out on my daughter. Needless to say, I ended up settling, thanks to my attorney. The day of final court, he marches up to me demanding money. Then he proceeds to argue with me right in front of my ex and her attorney. He then said "we're settling" and that's it. He didn't want to go to trial or help me show the courts what a violent person my ex is (I brought copies of police reports and my daughter was ready to testify) because I hadn't paid him in full, yet although I had just sent him $200 the week before and had another $200 check in my hand to give him. Can I do anything because of how poorly he represented me? I lost a LOT in this case because of him wanting to "settle". Do I have any repercussion in this?? Thank you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">