• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not legally married but traditionally married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nassa

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Question?

If you are not legally married but traditionally married and lived together for over ten years as man and wife in the state of Wisconsin, is that legal? If filed joint on your tax return for all those years, will that be a legal problem, if you are getting a divorce? Please help…seeking legal advice

kat1963

Errr...this might sound stupid, but what do you mean by *traditionally* married vs *legally* married? Wisconsin is not one of the states that recognize common law marriages.
KAT

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

A traditional Wisconsin marriage is performed in a gymnasium, and the bride's friends and family get to sit on the same side as the basketball hoop.

The Reception is usually held at a very tastefully decorated, nearby, McDonald's Restaurant. Ronald is the photographer.

The traditional ceremony includes the normal promises to each other, and then for the Honeymoon, the groom rushes the bride outside to the park bench to "catch the pigskin bus pulling into tuna town."

After about 10 days of marriage, the groom turns to his wife and says, "Welcome to Dumpsville, population, YOU."

IAAL

Gotalife

Mr. Liable,

I read half of your post before I realized it was you and not Nassa replying. You had me going there for a minute! Too funny!
Do you like anyone besides Californians? Seems to me like there's an awful lot of material to work with there too.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Gotalife said:
Mr. Liable,

I read half of your post before I realized it was you and not Nassa replying. You had me going there for a minute! Too funny!
Do you like anyone besides Californians? Seems to me like there's an awful lot of material to work with there too.
My response:

There's no need to call me "Mr. Liable" - - "Sir" will do quite nicely.

I'm happy that you enjoy my sideways humor. I try to bring some modicum of levity to the forums, whenever possible. It breaks up the monotony of having to read the same or similar questions day in, and day out. Of course I like "anyone" besides Californians - - as long as they stay on their side of the football field. Yes, there's quite a bit of "material" that can be used in reference to California, but that's not my job, and I will kill anyone who dares to attempt it.

Have a great day.

IAAL

N

Nassa

really funny guys

I really do need your opinion. I don’t have anyone else to turn to and I thought I give this a try maybe one of you guys can help out a girl in needs but I guess not huh. Is okay! Thank you for making this topic funny and enjoyable . “ Like the old saying, do what I say and not what I do”.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: really funny guys

Nassa said:
I really do need your opinion. I don’t have anyone else to turn to and I thought I give this a try maybe one of you guys can help out a girl in needs but I guess not huh. Is okay! Thank you for making this topic funny and enjoyable . “ Like the old saying, do what I say and not what I do”.
My response:

Why are you giving yourself a "Mental Wedgy"? Get your panties out of your ears, and read what we've already told you. Obviously, you're not understanding - - so, I'll take it step-by-step for you. Hold my hand, and we'll walk down this path together. Okay, got ahold of my hand? Good, let's go . . .

1. Wisconsin IS NOT a common law marriage State.

2. You're not married, and never have been (at least, to this guy).

3. You were living under a "mistaken belief of the law." All you've been doing is "shacking up."

4. Filing Joint Taxes does not make you "married" in Wisconsin. It makes you a liar in the eyes of the IRS and the State Tax Board - - but, no one is going to shoot you or "come after you."

5. It doesn't matter that you've been sleeping "spoon fashion" with your boyfriend (yes, that's what he is, or was - - not your husband). So, doing so does not make you married.

6. You've been living in sin. See your priest for absolution of your sinful ways.

Do you now understand this concept?

You don't need a divorce because you're NOT married. Pack your things, get a trailer for your "stuff," and get out.

IAAL

Last edited:

nailtech

are you talking about "Married with children"......?? thats one of them California shows..... hehehe.

couldn't resist that one...... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">