• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JacqueGarrison

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I was recently in a game room in Texas that has various video games available for gambling purposes. I have been in this establishment and others like it quite often and have become acquainted with most of the employees and customers as well. On this particular night, a customer had called to say he had lost his wallet and the last place he saw it was on a machine that I had been playing on. The worker on duty asked me if I'd seen it and I said no. She looked around the general area and checked the bathrooms but couldn't find the wallet. Later that night, the wallet shows up and the last thing I knew was that she was trying to get a hold of the owner to let him know.

A few days later I stopped in and was told by the same employee that I was no longer allowed in the establishment. She said that after viewing the video tape from the security cameras for that night, her manager had said she saw me replacing the wallet on one of the machines. This is absolutely untrue. I never touched that wallet.

Do I have any legal rights to protect my reputation? This manager has told all her employees that I am a thief. She has also given this information to other game rooms and even given my name and description to many customers. I never touched that wallet and yet she's saying she has proof that I stole it.

I have, on two occasions, left messages at the establishment asking the manager to return my call so we could discuss these accusations. She has made no attempt to contact me. This situation is embarrassing as well as humiliating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

The owner of the business has NO obligation to allow you on premises and can bar anyone that they wish (as long as it is not done in discrimination).

As for the claims being repeated to others.... you have two concerns.
1) If the 'teller' has evidence that you did as claimed, the 'teller' is exempt from any claims of defamation (the truth is not defamation).
2) You would have to spend large amounts ($5000+) to advance a claim of defamation against another party... and would have to PROVE your damages to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">