• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to cash a check not made out to you if you are a bank?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfty1st2002

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I mailed the wrong check to one of the large Banks with my credit card payslip. It was made out to my Insurance Company. Name not the least bit simular. The bank processed the check as if it was made out to them. It was for over $200.00. Did they break the Law and if so what can I do about it. They say if it is in their possession it is thier's and they can process it. I say they can't.

I need an answer, who do I file a complaint with and did they break the Law?:confused:

D

deweydecimal

Thats what happens when you hire minimum wage kids for a job an ADULT should do.....

An ADULT would have not processed it.

racer72

Banks are not obligated to cover for your mistakes. Most businesses use bulk deposits and the banks do not verify the pay to portion of the check, only the proper deposit information the receiving company stamps on the back of the check. This is done to prevent a common ploy by folks that swap checks sent out to give themselves extra time. That don't work anymore and what the bank did is perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">