• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce property settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laborcopii

What is the name of your state? Nevada
Can I sue for $3000 worth of personal property that was withheld and/or destroyed despite the court's preliminary injunction, court orders, and my divorce decree? Yes, it is ex-husband.

Last edited:

JETX

Did the court order the specific property, or the value of??

In any case, Small Claims courts generally only hear money issues. Depending on the specifics of the divorce decree, you could sue for the value of the items not returned.

However, it might be easier to return to the family court that heard the case and get an Order for the return of the property... then a Contempt if he refuses.

L

laborcopii

Nevada.

After paying $15K for his divorce, I did returned to Family Court, in re: property, AND filed an order to Show Cause. It cost another $1500 to go to back to court. There was no ruling on contempt charges, and Plaintiff was given an additional 18 months to return items specifically" listed in court documents. PLUS they're offseting HIS legal fees from the $7000 in child support arrears he owes me!
My 'personal' property valued at $3000 was discarded and destroyed. The 'community' property settlement in the divorce was itemized in the decree, but has no substantial value since he got to keep the house and everything in it. I got to keep the kids after twenty years of marriage.
What do I need to do for small claims court, besides a blood and urine sample?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">