• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chaning back to my maiden name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eva_andrews

What is the name of your state? Louisianna

I divorced several years ago and opted to keep my married name. I would like to go back to my maiden name. What legal steps do I need to take to do this?

Eva

Jeter

Your maiden name is your given name at birth. You may go by that name at any time you please without going through legal proceedings.

Jeter

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jeter said:
Your maiden name is your given name at birth. You may go by that name at any time you please without going through legal proceedings.

Jeter
My response:

Oh really?

Would you mind telling all of us the name of the planet you got your information from? Perhaps our writer would like to follow the law. Our writer gave up her name at some point, and in order to comply with the law, she would need to file a Petition for Name Change to go "back" to any name she might have had - - or, even an entirely new name.

Louisiana Statutes
PART IV. CHANGE OF NAME

§4751. Petition for name change; adults; minors

A. The name of a person may be changed as provided in this Section.

B. Whenever any person who has attained the age of majority desires to change his name, he shall present a petition to the district court of the parish of his residence or, in the case of a person incarcerated in a penal institution, to the district court of the parish in which he was sentenced, setting forth the reasons for the desired change.

IAAL

Jeter

Maybe next time I should research a little better before I mis-inform.

By the way, IAAL, since you live there, maybe I can use you to sue my ex wife for illegally dropping my last name like a rash- without consultng anyone!! Either that or I'll invite you to the party for melting the wicked witch of the west. Do I sound bitter?

Jeter

E

eva_andrews

Thanks so much for your help! Have a great weekend......

Eva

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">