• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harleeydavidson

What is the name of your state? north dakota

hello. i have a question, but first a description. currently i am residing in north dakota. i left my motorcycle parked on the side of a street with no signs posted indicating any limitations of parking (eg, no parking; parking only from 5:00pm to 7:00am, etc). after 6 days in that location i received a phone call from the police saying to move the motorcycle because it is blocking a mail delivery vehicle from delivering mail. when i take action to move the bike i notice a ticket on it. the ticket is marked as being parked more than 12" from the side of a curb. it was about 2 1/2 feet from the curb. it was also about 3' away from the closest mailbox.

the motorcycle i have is no more than 2' feet wide. the way i look at it a car is about 5 feet wide. even if a car is parked on the curb it extends out about 5 feet. my motorcycle was 4 1/2 feet from the curb measured from the side opposite the curb (so, less impeding than a car).

i received a parking ticket for being more than 12" from the curb. the cost is only $10 but this still makes me feel a little upset. i have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for being parked more than 12 inches from the curb. (i wonder how many times in minot, north dakota has this ticket actually been issued?)

couple of questions:

is there any way to prevent paying the fee/fighting the ticket?

if so, what arguments should i seek (did the officer use a ruler to measure the distance)?

i definitely believe in abiding by the law but this seems a little nit-picky, when cars are parked up and down streets all the time and do not receive tickets for being too close to a mail box.

i appreciate any advice one can give, and thanks for your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

harleeydavidson said:
What is the name of your state? north dakota

hello. i have a question, but first a description. currently i am residing in north dakota. i left my motorcycle parked on the side of a street with no signs posted indicating any limitations of parking (eg, no parking; parking only from 5:00pm to 7:00am, etc). after 6 days in that location i received a phone call from the police saying to move the motorcycle because it is blocking a mail delivery vehicle from delivering mail. when i take action to move the bike i notice a ticket on it. the ticket is marked as being parked more than 12" from the side of a curb. it was about 2 1/2 feet from the curb. it was also about 3' away from the closest mailbox.

the motorcycle i have is no more than 2' feet wide. the way i look at it a car is about 5 feet wide. even if a car is parked on the curb it extends out about 5 feet. my motorcycle was 4 1/2 feet from the curb measured from the side opposite the curb (so, less impeding than a car).

i received a parking ticket for being more than 12" from the curb. the cost is only $10 but this still makes me feel a little upset. i have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for being parked more than 12 inches from the curb. (i wonder how many times in minot, north dakota has this ticket actually been issued?)

couple of questions:

is there any way to prevent paying the fee/fighting the ticket?

if so, what arguments should i seek (did the officer use a ruler to measure the distance)?

i definitely believe in abiding by the law but this seems a little nit-picky, when cars are parked up and down streets all the time and do not receive tickets for being too close to a mail box.

i appreciate any advice one can give, and thanks for your time.
My response:

I would definitely fight this one, all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, if I had to.

Oh, c'mon !

It's a "parking ticket" for god's sake. And, a $10.00 ticket, at that!

Even if you were to tell me, "It's the principle of the thing", I wouldn't believe you for one moment that you're actually going to take a day off to go to court to fight a $10.00 parking ticket.

Just pay the stupid ticket.

IAAL

JETX

From the North Dakota Century Code:
"39-10-50. Additional parking regulations.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a two-way roadway must be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within twelve inches [30.48 centimeters] of the right-hand curb or as close as practicable to the right edge of the right-hand shoulder.
2. Except where otherwise provided by local ordinance, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a one-way roadway must be so stopped or parked parallel to the curb or edge of the roadway, in the direction of authorized traffic movement, with its right-hand wheels within twelve inches [30.48 centimeters] of the right-hand curb or as close as practicable to the right edge of the right-hand shoulder, or with its left-hand wheels within twelve inches [30.48 centimeters] of the left-hand curb or as close as practicable to the left edge of the left-hand shoulder."
Source: http://ranch.state.nd.us/LR/01/cencode/CCT39.pdf

Guilty. Pay the measly $10.00!!

H

harleeydavidson

thanks ya'll for your inputs. i know, it is a measly $10. i just thought it odd for one to actually receive a ticket for this. once again, thanks.

D

dubhloaich

Don't you just love the helpful people here?

Halket is working towards a 5 figure number on posts and I'm betting (s)he hasn't helped a single person.

Turned out (s)he couldn't have been more wrong. My Mother got out of the ticket that (s)he said to just pay and "tell your mother to quit playing Paul Revere".

I know how you feel though. If you're ever in Cleveland Heights Ohio (I don't recommend it), don't park on the street overnight. Despite the fact there isn't a sign in the entire City telling you it's not legal, they will ticket you for parking overnight on the street.

If I'd had out-of-state plates at the time, I would have used it for toilet paper before mailing it back empty. But, when it costs less than parking in a lot two miles away from Safeco Field, why sweat it?

If you ever have any real need for free legal advice, there are several sites staffed by law students doing public service. I'm sure you'll find they have a far better professional demeanor than the sarcastic charlatans you'll find here.

Oh, and 12 inches from the curb has been the standard everywhere I've lived, but I've never actually seen it enforced before. Who knows, the mail man might have bitched and that was the cheapest ticket the cop could figure out to give you. I imagine blocking a mail box is more $$$$.

H

harleeydavidson

dear dubhloaich,

thank you for your kindness and sincerity. i think characteristics as these make suggestions, comments and advice easier to follow. hope you have a great day.

harleeydavidson

JETX

Two fruitcakes patting each other on the back and telling themselves how right they were. What a crock!!

:p

A

anj

Just because you don't like the answer you recieve, doesn't make the writer inncorrect. I have been reading these boards for about a year now. I am not a lawyer, but have always pursued education and consider myself to be of reasonable intelligence. I find most of the advice to be quite good and perhaps more importantly, practical. The people who donate their time to
answer legal questions for anyone who post, should be commended instead of slammed. As to the attitude of some of the lawyers, as stated on the forum, you are getting an OPINION of an individual. If it is not an opinion you are after then I would suggest you not post here, but get off your can and do your own research. (your local library is a good place to start.) It is wrong to write in for advice, then wine about the response.
Incidentally, I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is my favorite. :cool:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Originally posted by anj

Incidentally, I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is my favorite. :cool:

=======================================

My response:

You are truly a scholar, and obviously a person of distinguished character.

IAAL

D

dubhloaich

Reply to Anj

Yea anj, "practical"ly no advice at all with generous doses of belittlement and sarcasm.

Nothing but a bunch of wannabe lawyers (like yourself) and actual lawyers with slow practices who want to relieve their boredom by belittling people who come here looking for help.

I came here some months ago looking for a little help my self. And got the jackass with the handle Halket. Got a post full of BS and belittlement, but he's hardly the only one here. After I came to the admittedly obvious realization that you get what you pay for, I spent a little time reading some of the other threads and found that practical advice you talk about to be quite rare.

So, I sure as hell didn't come back here for any legal advice, but rather to express my OPINION about the quality of the legal advice here and just how full of crap Halket was on a little bit of opinion he so graciously volunteer. 1) he was completely wrong regarding the legal advice he gave (my Mother WON in court; and, 2) bring him back some his crap about the Houston police department. After their gigantic K-Mart debacle, I just couldn't resist.

So, bottom line, butt the hell out, nobody asked you.

And Halket, how predictable. Leave it to a Texas redneck to play the ***** card.

:p

A

anj

dubhloaich,

Wannabe??? No, I do not want to be a lawyer. Do not be so quick to judge someone you do not know. I own my own business, and worked very hard to get where I am. I have no desire to be anyone else but me.
I visit this site when I have the time. Sometimes I learn something new, sometimes I have a good laugh, but I always enjoy comming here. You said that you only came back to give your opinion on how bad this site was. Well, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. You said, and I quote, "Who asked you?" This is a public forum. All are free to speak. It is one of the things I love most about our country.

D

dubhloaich

Agreed, it is one of the most beautiful things about this country.

Look, I have no real problem with you. It's great you have your own business and that you beat the odd in having a successful one. I never suggested that you wanted to give up what you do now and go to law school. Most "wannabes" never do not intend to become that which they covet. If you come here and give advice on legal matters, you qualify as a lawyer wannabee, IMO.

And your right, I judged quickly, but I simply returned the favor. You made the following statement: "Just because you don't like the answer you recieve, doesn't make the writer inncorrect." Which obviously indicates that you commented without sufficient knowledge of me or why I was posting.

In my particular instance (which you probably never read about), the writer (Halket) was indeed incorrect. Additionally, I did not even begin to question the veracity what the respondents telling the individual who was seeking help in this thread. In fact, I agreed with it. $10 for six days of parking a vehicle is a bargain just about anywhere.

I questioned the need for those responding to do so in the manner and tone in which they generally do at this site. Then I suggested alternative where that individual could get a decent response with out being subjected to derisive comments and belittling attitudes.

The guy really just wanted to vent a little. I helped him feel a little better about the situation and I'm good with that, despite Halket questioning my sexual preference.

I'd love to see what would happen to him if he actually called that biker a "fruit" to his face.

A

anj

re:I questioned the need for those responding to do so in the manner and tone in which they generally do at this site. Then I suggested alternative where that individual could get a decent response with out being subjected to derisive comments and belittling attitudes.

Point well taken. I agree with you that there are things said on this board that are uncalled for. At the same time, I wonder how a FEW of the people who write in, are able to dress in the morning without assistance. There are two sides to every coin.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">