• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgery on divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peggysue

What is the name of your state? virginia

man marries woman..he seperates from her...later he wants to marry but has not completed the divorce. does paper work with lawyer. the soon to be divorced woman does not live close. the papers are forged with her permission. the man marries the second woman.
is the couple actual married? can the couple get in trouble for forging the first wifes signiture even with her permission? are the children of the second marriage his responsibility if the couple then decides to divorce? i have heard that if you are not married when the child is born then legally the children are not his and would have to be adopted. was the second marriage legal?

kat1963

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but here goes. As for the divorce, it sounds to me like she gave a verbal power of attorney for the divorce papers to be signed. She didn't contest it when the final papers were received. Sounds legal to me, but check with a lawyer. If he is the biological father of the children from the second marriage, then yes, he is responsible for them, married or not. If he's not the biological father, never claimed to be, never signed the birth certificate or anything else claiming paternity and there wasn't an adoption, then no, he wouldn't be responsible for them unless he agreed by some means to do so.

Just my 02 here...but I'm curious, what's really going on eh? You don't have to answer, it just peaked my interest tis' all.

KAT

P

peggysue

pretty much what i just said........there is a custody hearing..child support..legal seperation going on. the forged papers have been bugging me and i am not sure how they can be used to damage or harm someone. if the divorce was legal or not. if the second marriage was legal. what about the statis of the children from the marriage. my brother married a woman that was prego from another man and we were told that if he was not married to her before the birth of the child then legally the child was not his. so i was wondering if the same thing would apply here, if the marriage was not legal. i dont want my soon to be x walking out on the children just because he thinks he can prove he was not married to me. kwim? he said to me once because i was upset that he left and my faith does not allow divorce well it does not allow the remarriage ........he said dont worry we were never legally married because he forged the signiture of his first wife. does this make it any clearer? can someone be sent to jail for forging the papers? i dont want to make an issue of this but he might.........i just want the man to leave me alone....lol .. yes i still want him to see the children as i know how important a dad is but i just want this thing over. we are going to court and i dont know why.....he wont say. i have agreed to all we decided on a year ago........still no legal seperation though.

kat1963

Hon, it doesn't matter if you had a one night stand with him, he's the biological father to these children and therefore has the same right to custody/visitation and support as you do. He can't get out of it by saying Oh we were never married, see ya!..that doesn't count. If you find out it he wasn't divorced, then bigamy charges can be filed against him, which is a felony here in VA. I'm not sure if you would be the filer or his other wife. The only way to prove it would be to find her.

Have you been to a lawyer yet? Because I really, really think you need one. Has he left? Has he provided any support? Because it sounds to me like he just walked out with a ton of promises but isn't producing. You need to have a seperation agreement filed ASAP if that is the case or at the very least, head on down to family court and file for child support. Don't let him bully you okay?

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">